Wednesday, April 11, 2012

colored denim


So...remember when I said it takes me a while to get on board with some trends? Yeah, well, I have been anti-colorful denim since day one. Something about squeezing my booty into bright, dare I say neon, colored jeans just seems like a fashion disaster waiting to happen. Like, perhaps I should just frame my rear end in blinking lights while I'm at it? Or attach a Wide Load sign to my belt loops? No thank you! The standard blue, black, and white jeans are wild enough for this gal.

However, I was skimming through my Outfit Inspiration board on Pinterest recently and couldn't help but notice the abundance of photos featuring colorful denim. Gasp! When did I start liking colorful denim? I already swore that I would loathe it for all eternity...along with chambray shirts and scarves! Oh, wait, I wear chambray shirts and scarves? Like, all the time? Crap.

Turns out I love colorful denim.

Here is a sampling of some of my favorite outfits featuring colorful jeans. Looks like a colorful denim shopping trip may be in my near future...

I've been seeing tons of pale pink denim recently and it seems so versatile. You can channel an Easter egg and pair it with other pastels as in the photo above. I'm totally loving pastels right now...they feel so springy!


Or, this color looks equally cute paired with a navy blazer and stripes for a pretty look. Grey, white, black, tan...pale pink pairs well with any neutral! Plus, this shade is fairly muted. Baby steps, people. Pale pink may be a good place to start the venture into the land of colorful denim.


Or, if you want to dive into colorful denim with reckless abandon...how about hot pink? So fun for spring and summer. Plus, paired with a stack of gold bangles and a chambray shirt...this outfit was made for me!



Herre's another wild option...bright orange! I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge with orange pants (I spent many long years despising the color orange, but I am slowly coming around!). However, I do love the styling of this outfit. Lesson learned: any outfit looks put together when there is a navy blazer involved.


Love these neon yellow pants, although I might have to work my way up to these babies. There's no missing those pants! This is an adorable outfit, though, paired with the leopard cardigan and chunky necklace. Cute for work.


Moving right through the rainbow, I never thought I'd like green pants. And these are GREEN! However, I am loving that leopard print skinny belt. It makes the whole outfit!


Last but not least, I'm loving this color pairing of navy with mint green. It's just such a classic look despite those sherbet-colored pants.

What do you think? Would you wear colorful denim? After reviewing all these images, I've come up with some guidelines to keep in mind:

1. Bright denim pairs well with classic pieces (navy blazers, chambray shirts, subtle animal prints).
2. When in doubt, pair with a simple white top and accessorize!
3. Keep it simple. When you've got jeans like this, who needs much else?

Okay, I'm off on a mission for colored denim.

3 comments:

  1. I have a pair of neon green jean capris on hold at work right now! I think I might try it! -man

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on this. I used to loathe colored denim, but designers and stylists have done such cool things with the pairing of color and fit that it all works so well. These little trends make me wish I were a chick. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got a pair of pink jeans for Christmas, wasn't sure if I liked them or what to do with them. This puts a whole new light on them for me, think I might wear them a second time if I can find the right top.

    ReplyDelete