Thursday, April 5, 2012

cake topper pom poms

Source: 100 Layer Cake $20
You may recall that I posted about these cake toppers a few weeks ago. These super cute cake toppers are just crepe paper pom poms on bamboo skewers. I love the colors and the look of these; however, $20 for nine bamboo skewers and a few pieces of crepe paper seems a bit outlandish, if you ask me. So, I set out to see if I could recreate these cake toppers. While my results are not an exact replica, they still turned out so cute that I decided to post the tutorial here.


Here's what you need: tissue paper in your color of choice, bamboo skewers or lollipop sticks, string or floral wire, and hot glue. My supplies cost me something like $5 and provided enough materials to make dozens of cake toppers. Now that's a good deal!

Step One: Cut eight pieces of tissue paper. Mine were roughly 3x3" but I didn't measure. You don't have to be exact; it's fine to just eyeball things here. Now stack those pieces of tissue!

Step Two: Fold the stack of tissue paper accordion-style and grab a small piece of string or floral wire.

Step Three: Hold the tissue paper accordion in the middle and cinch with either string or floral wire. Be sure to knot it as tight as possible. Floral wire would probably work better for this, but I used what I had. Note: At this point you might want to trim the ends of the accordion into a point or a rounded edge depending on what look you're going for. I did a couple plain pom poms and one with pointed edges and I ended up liking the pointed pom the best.

Step Four: Pull the layers of tissue apart and fluff to create desired look.

Step Five: Hot glue pom pom to end of skewer. Voila! Cake topper pom pom!

So pretty!
I made three hot pink pom poms and it took me a total of about 15 minutes from start to end. Unfortunately, I didn't have a cake to stick these beauties in, but you get the idea. Super cute! These pom poms would also be cute in cupcakes for a party. They'd also make for fun drink stirrers for a shower or BBQ. These little pom poms have so much potential!

Hope you like! Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment