Monday, April 2, 2012

banana boat cupcakes


Oh hey there! Yes, I survived my conference presentation this weekend. It actually went fairly well. Don't get it twisted...I am not a conference convert. The whole thing still make me slightly nauseous. I am relieved to put it behind me; however, there are a few aspects of conferences that I do enjoy:

1. The rare opportunity to dress up in my "professional Kate" business attire. Hot pink pencil skirt? Yup. Leopard print sensible heels? Absolutely. Blazer? Of course. It's my day to play dress up! I tend to err on the side of overdressed in most situations but it's kinda my thang.

2. All of the interesting people. After I broke out of my panic-stricken paralysis, I did meet some cool people. A guy from Brown with Wolverine-esque sideburns. No joke. They were intense. A girl from Southern California who was maybe the nicest person ever. The key note speaker who had a double PhD from Harvard but looked like he was younger than me. It was an interesting mix of people, no doubt.

3. Last but certainly not least, I get to add another line to my CV. In fact, this one is really the only reason I even do these silly things. It's all part of the end game to get tenured one day, my friends. :)


Enough about me. Today, my friend Brittany is taking her master's comprehensive exams. Been there, done that and it is SCARY stuff! Non-stop studying, the anxiety of not knowing what your questions might be, plus the added pressure that these exams determine whether or not you will receive your degree. Yikes!

To aid her in her study preparations, I made poor Britt a batch of cupcakes. Sugar + carbs = study fuel. Don't tell her, but I also kept a couple for myself. :) What? I had to taste-test them to make sure they were edible. Guess what? They are! These cupcakes are ridiculously good, in fact. Pretzel crust, banana cupcake, and chocolate-peanut butter frosting. These cupcakes are heavenly cupcake perfection.

Think good thoughts for Britt! And also, make these cupcakes! :)

Pretzel Bottomed Banana Bread Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

Pretzel Crust:
1 1/4 cups crushed salted pretzels
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Combine crushed pretzels and butter in a bowl and stir until entire mixture is moistened. Line a muffin tin with lines and using a tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop pretzels into the bottom of each liner. Use the back of the spoon to flatten and press the pretzels together.

Cake:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 large egg
3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside. In a bowl, whisk egg and add brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Add melted butter and mix. Stir in dry ingredients, then add mashed bananas and mix until batter comes together. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter on top of each pretzel crust.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown on the top and set. Let cool completely.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons milk, if needed

In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter and peanut butter until creamy. Add in vanilla extract then gradually add in sugar and cocoa with the mixer on low speed until entirely combined and smooth. If frosting it a bit too thick, add in milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it becomes a bit creamier. Frost cupcakes, then top with crushed pretzels if desired.

Yields: 12 cupcakes
Source: How Sweet It Is

1 comment:

  1. think this might be my good friday adventure. They sound delish and I have some over ripe bananas to use. Thanks!! Need this. Mama K

    ReplyDelete