Tuesday, April 10, 2012

weenie cookies


Happy happy birthday to my best good friend Shan!!! Today is Shan's 25th birthday and I wish I could be there to help her celebrate. However, while I can't be there in person, I am most definitely there in spirit...and in weenie cookies. :)

Fun fact about Shan: she is obsessed with all things weenie dog. Thus, since I couldn't mail her a three-layer cake, my plan B was to make some weenie cookies happen. Disclaimer: I am not an expert cookie decorator. Most of my cooking could be more accurately described as "rustic" (read: homely). Nevertheless, I was pretty proud of how these weenie cookies turned out! Here's the step by step:

Baked.
Step One: Bake up some sugar cookies. I made these Chocolate Sugar Cookies from Annie's Eats. They are super delicious although I do want to note that I had to add a LOT of extra flour to get this dough to the consistency where it could be rolled out and cut. You've been warned! Also, be sure to let the cookies cool before decorating or you'll have melted icing everywhere.

Outlined.
Step Two: Make a batch of Royal Icing. I made a half batch of this recipe from Wilton and still had plenty left over afterwards. Divide the icing into separate containers depending on how many colors you plan to make and color as desired. I used brown since weenie dogs are brown and pink for the writing since Shan loves pink! Side note: Yes, I made royal icing without a mixer. Yes, I have HUGE biceps now. I don't want to talk about it. My new hand mixer is coming soon!

Step Three: Place some of the icing in a decorating bag and carefully outline the cookies. Let dry.

Flooded.
Step Four: Thin the remaining icing until it's pourable and pour a bit into each outline. Then, use a toothpick to spread the icing to the edges and into all the nooks and crannies. Let dry for several hours.

Decorated.
Step Five: Decorate as desired! I used hot pink to write on the cookies and little blue sprinkles for the eyes. Let dry and consume!
Dog gone. Heehee!
I couldn't help it. I had to keep one for myself. He was a tasty dog! Happy birthday Shan!

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww I love these soooooooooooo much!!!!! They're delicious too!!!! Thanks Katy!

    ReplyDelete