Thursday, April 19, 2012

lasagna-stuffed portobellos


All I ever wanted in life was a man who would eat carbs with me. Is that so much to ask? Apparently, it is because I cannot for the life of me find a fella who fits this one specification. Sheesh!

I know what you're thinking. But Katy, everyone eats carbs. You would think so, wouldn't you? I thought so too. However, recently I find myself on a streak of carb-haters. And, I'll tell you one thing...if a man doesn't eat carbs, there's no trusting him. There's something that's just not natural about a carb-free man.

Working backward there was Dr. Allergies. No that's not his real name. It's a pseudonym. The man was allergic to every food on God's green Earth...including gluten. How's a baker like myself supposed to work with that? I embraced homemade ice cream making for a while. But it just wasn't the same. It was doomed from the start.

Before him there was Mr. Health Nut. Perhaps the only thing worse than not being able to eat carbs? Choosing not to eat carbs. It's sick, really. How are you gonna inhale half of my homemade apple pie and then tell me you've decided carbs are the devil? Get out of town. No, I'll get out of town. And don't you ever even think about my apple pie again. And that's how that ended.

So, here's what it comes down to...I have ONE standard. ONE. Be willing and able to eat carbs when I make them for you. That's all I ask. And, yet, it would appear that I'm doomed to date carb haters forever.

So, although, I still refuse to change my standards, I do dedicate this recipe to those two fellas. Had things worked out between us, we would have BOTH enjoyed this meal. Too bad...I ate them all myself. ;)

Lasagna-Stuffed Portobellos

Note: My portobello caps were on the small side, so I stuffed six caps. Two per serving.

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
1 Tbs olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 portobello mushroom caps
1 cup ricotta (part-skim or full -fat)
1/4 cup Parmesan, plus 2-3 Tbs for sprinkling over mushrooms
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, divided
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
about 1 cup marinara sauce

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Use a butter knife to scrape the gills out of the mushroom caps.

In a small bowl, combine half the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Brush the inside and outside of the caps with the mixture, and roast cap-side down for about 10 minutes. If the mushroom gives off water, blot it up with a paper towel.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the ricotta, remaining garlic and Italian seasoning, Parmesan, 3 ounces of mozzarella, basil, and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the marinara into each mushroom cap, then stuff with the ricotta mixture. Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of sauce over the ricotta, then sprinkle the remaining Parmesan and mozzarella over the sauce.

Bake 10-15 minutes, or until the filling is heated through and the cheese has melted. Serve with additional marinara.
Serves 3
Source: Pink Parsley

1 comment:

  1. Another recipe to add to my list of things to make! Fun reading this and figuring out who you are talking about. Hope they aren't following your blog. Probably not a manly thing to do, but no telling what carb haters are capable of. Their loss.... Betty

    ReplyDelete