Tuesday, April 3, 2012

egg-cellent easter eggs

Source: Family Fun
Confession: I am 25 years old and I STILL love decorating Easter eggs! Is it a little kid activity? Probably. Do I care? Of course not! It's just so dang fun!

Besides, I am a creature of habit and dying eggs is a tradition. No way around it. As a kid, we busted out the ol' PAAS Easter egg kit every year with varying levels of success. My brother, sister, and I all had our own unique approaches to dying our eggs. I was the perfectionist, strategizing the colorful fate of each egg before I began. My OCD kicked in at a young age. My brother and sister, however, were a bit more carefree, dunking their eggs in whichever color happened to be free at the moment. Reckless abandon, I tell you. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Even after the Easter bunny illusion had been shattered and the Easter egg hunts came to an end, we still enjoyed dying those eggs, if only for the sake of tradition. Over the years our technique improved and I like to think of myself as a regular Easter egg dying pro these days.

The holidays are a hard time to live away from my friends and family; however, it helps to keep up those old traditions. They remind me of good times with family and friends. (Shout out to my fave egg-dying buddy, Shan, who will be guest posting here next week!) You better believe that I'll be dying my own eggs this week. However, I'm thinking about changing things up a bit this year and straying from the ol' PAAS boxed dye. Here are some cool variations I've been considering...the link to each tutorial is below the image.

I love the colors and plant silhouettes of the image above. Very springy! If you can find any (living) plants in your neck o' the woods, you should give it a try. I don't. :( But if you make it happen, send me pics!

Source: Family Circle
I'm kinda obsessed with these vibrant colors! These eggs are colored with Rit Dye, creating an extra-saturated look. My only concern is that these might not be edible. :( I do love me some egg salad sandwiches! However, I might have to steal the monogram idea...very preppy and fun!

Source: Martha Stewart
Leave it to Martha to make glittery Easter eggs. My girly side is totally obsessed with these eggs. This technique might also work for coating plastic eggs for use on a wreath or in decorations that you could use year after year. In the words of my Easter egg friend, Shannon, "It's an investment!"

Source: Our Best Bites
I first saw these silk-dyed eggs last year and totally fell in love with them. Like the Rit-dyed eggs above, these would be inedible due to the chemicals used in fabric dye; however, I can't get over how cool these eggs look! I've been on the hunt for 100% silk ties or scarves at thrift shops but they're hard to come by. I might have to start searching now for next Easter. So unique!

Source: Oh Joy
Last but not least, I'm loving these neon dip-dyed eggs. They remind me of the color blocking and ombre trends that keep popping up on the runways this spring. What fashionable eggs! Plus, these are totally edible since they are colored with neon food coloring. Double bonus!

What do you think? Which ones do you like best? I still can't decide which technique to try out this year. Maybe a couple of 'em!?! Good thing I love hard-boiled eggs. Deviled eggs. Egg salad sandwiches. I might as well make a couple dozen! Haha! 

1 comment:

  1. Aw! Thanks for the shout out! Lol I will be missing you this Easter. I guess the Easter blog will be the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete