Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chambray Day!

J. Crew Perfect Shirt in Faded Chambray $43.75
There are trends that I love and embrace right away. For example, riding boots, furry vests, cupcakes. These are things that I can get behind. Automatically. Without question. Then there are the trends that take a little more time. Trends I need to mull over for a bit before I declare my undying love. Scarves as accessories (believe it or not), skinny pants (I still go back and forth depending on the day), and, most recently, chambray shirts.

When I first saw chambray popping up in my favorite stores, my initial reaction was something like this: "Chambray? What the what? Was there a sale at Orscheln's? Is my father now dictating fashion trends?" Cut to me a mere few months later scouring the Interwebs for the perfect chambray shirt. Don't judge. I'm a woman. It's my prerogative to change my mind.

The J.Crew version above is the one I finally settled on. Light enough to wear with dark wash denim. Long enough to tuck in. Close cut for easy layering. Chambray perfection! Part of my initial hesitation with chambray was the tricky business of how to wear it. Silly me! Chambray shirts are one of those versatile pieces that you can dress down or dress up. Let me take you on a quick tour of chambray versatility!

Source: Prepfection
Check out that mad layering action! I definitely plan to layer my chambray shirt under a blazer or over a tank or both. Love the red jeans with the chambray, too!
Source: Atlantic Pacific
Chambray, like denim, can go with anything from khaki to fuschia. Love this look with the bright pants! Are you seeing a theme, yet?

Source: Polyvore
Chambray is often layered UNDER sweaters, blazers, and jackets. I like it here layered OVER a simple white tee for a look that would work into spring. Simple and classic.

Source: Southern Pi Phi
This look is similar to the last in that the chambray is paired with black pants but I love that they've accessorized with leopard and camel leather. A great weekend look!
Source: Polyvore

This look is definitely more springy, pairing the chambray with white jeans and neutrals. This is definitely a year-round piece!
Source: Ann Taylor Loft
I hadn't considered pairing a button down chambray top with shorts but I love this look with the sleeves rolled up layered under a light cardigan. Perfect for a spring weekend outside.

Source: Fashion Salade
I am absolutely obsessed with this skirt. This look is so laid-back but still put together. I'm officially on the hunt for this southwestern-style skirt.

Source: Have Less Be More
I would definitely wear this look to work! Luckily, I actually ordered a bright red skirt from J.Crew along with my chambray shirt so this outfit will be happening ASAP!

Source: Pinterest
Source: Sparkling Glitter
I've grouped these two images together because I love how they both mix chambray with very dressy, very girly items like a sequin tank or a blinged-out necklace. The juxtaposition is great and goes to show just how versatile this piece is.

Source: Urban Chic for Cheap
Last but not least, if you haven't been convinced about the versatility of chambray, here's seven more options ranging from work appropriate to super casual. Whew! After all this chambray talk, I'm beginning to think I should have ordered two!

Now, do you love chambray yet???



1 comment:

  1. It's not too late! Don't forget about chambray with your hot pink Talbots skirt!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete