Thursday, February 2, 2012

All That Glitters is Gold

Michael Kors 'Layton' Chronograph Watch
Hi. My name is Katy and I'm addicted to chunky gold watches. It's a problem really. I've been obsessing over the above watch for basically forever. Everything about that watch is perfect from the chunky men's-style band to the oversized cream-colored face (45mm, wowza!). My hold-up in purchasing this particular watch? I blame the $250 price tag. Somehow my TA salary can't quite accommodate said watch.

Enter little brother, a self-proclaimed watch aficionado. I mentioned this watch in passing the other day and was promptly given a stern lecture regarding the price mark-ups of designer watches...most of which went in one ear and out the other. After a lengthy speech on time-piece mechanisms, brother finally realized I wasn't budging on the issue and a mere half hour later I received an email from him listing several chunky gold watches similar to the beauty above but in a more manageable price bracket. So...I thought I'd share with you. Each of these watches is gorgeous, but they each have their good and bad points.

The Marc Jacobs watch below has more of a minimalist feel to it. I do like the simple face and classic band, but I miss the chronograph function with this one. And, at $175, I might as well go ahead and spend the extra $75 for the MK version.

Marc by Marc Jacobs Women's Marci Watch $175
The GUESS watch below is actually available in two sizes: a 45mm (similar to the size of the MK watch above) as well as a slightly smaller version. Both feature the chronograph functions, a gold face, and classic band style. This may be the closest match to the 'Layton,' only differing in the color of the face and featuring numbers rather than Roman numerals. 

GUESS Chronograph Goldtone 45mm Watch $150
(also available in a smaller 39mm size for $135)
This Tommy Hilfiger version strikes me as more feminine with its rounded edges and thinner band. The case itself is a bit smaller (38 mm), but still big enough to be considered chunky.

Tommy Hilfiger Women's Goldtone Watch $125
I suppose brother is right. There are a LOT of great options out there. I have to admit that I'm still partial to the original 'Layton' but the GUESS Chronograph is a very affordable alternative. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Garrett bought me a watch today for an early valentines present! It's a silver and gold guess watch..pretty cute!! I'll send you a pic!

    ReplyDelete