Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mustard Roasted New Potatoes

Meat n' Potatoes
I tend to be a fairly adventurous cook. I love trying new recipes, breaking out of my comfort zone, and experimenting with new types of food...much to my father's chagrin. My father is your typical midwestern guy. He loves steak, pot roast, fried chicken, and he is famous for his BBQ. In fact, if you look up "meat and potatoes guy" in the dictionary, I believe you'll find a picture of dear ol' dad. Herein lies the problem.

On my trips home, my offers to cook dinner usually go something like this:

Me: I thought I might make dinner tonight. Is that okay?
Dad: (concerned look) That depends on what you're making...
Me: I just saw a great recipe for (insert meal option outside of dad's comfort zone).
Dad: (mentally kicking himself for not teaching me better as a child) Why don't you ever make pot roast?

So that's pretty much how it goes. I end up making whatever I want and dear ol' dad patiently chokes it down. Personally, I think I deserve a big "thank you" for opening his world to the likes of pad thai, curry, vegetarian food, and so much more. But alas, the typical reaction is one of silent martyrdom. Ah well, you can't win 'em all.

And don't you go feeling sorry for dear ol' dad. I make plenty o' baked goodies to make up for a lifetime of experimental dinners. Fair trade.

I tell you of this dinnertime struggle to preface the meal above. Now THIS is a meal my father would be proud of. Pork chops and potatoes. Now that's man food at its best. The pork chops were okay, but these potatoes? Well, I could eat them at every meal...and I probably would if swimsuit season wasn't approaching at lightning speed. I made a half batch, but I fully recommend making the whole enchilada. You can thank me later. :)

Make them. Love them. Feed them to the "meat and potatoes" people in your life. :)

Mustard Roasted New Potatoes

Ingredients:
3 pounds new potatoes
1/2 cup whole grain dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
chopped fresh parsley to taste

Directions:
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil or parchment paper, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set baking sheets aside.

Clean and dice new potatoes. Try to slice them so they’re just about all the same size. Place in a large bowl. Toss in sliced onions.

In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, olive oil, melted butter, minced garlic, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Pour mustard mixture over diced potatoes and onions. Toss until potatoes are coated. Divide the coated potatoes between the two baking sheets. Leave any extra mustard mixture in the bowl. It will just burn in the oven.

Bake potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss. Return to the oven and bake for another 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned and cooked through. Remove from the oven, toss with parsley, and serve warm.

Serves 4-6

Source: Joy the Baker, originally from Epicurious

No comments:

Post a Comment