Monday, February 6, 2012

DIY: Nail Head Bulletin Board



As I mentioned before, I'm in the process of decorating my study. It's been a long time coming but I've got big plans for this little room. As of now, the study is home to my desk, my ever-growing library (in desperate need of a bigger bookshelf!), and a few crafting odds and ends. However, I have visions of a cozy room conducive to productivity and far away from the TV and its endless variety of time-sucking shows (damn you, HGTV and Food Network!). I'll be randomly posting about this project as it develops.

Today I have another DIY craft I've made for the study: a fabric-covered nail head bulletin board. For mine, I chose a blue and white geometric fabric. The colors can be seen most accurately in the close-up below. As you may have guessed, this project came from a little "Pinspiration."I've included the link to the original tutorial at "A Thoughtful Place" blog for step-by-step instructions on how to create your own bulletin board.

DIY Bulletin Board Instructions

Here's what you need: a cork board, fabric large enough to extend 3" beyond cork board, spray adhesive, thumb tacks, hot glue

Here's what you do:
1. Be sure to iron fabric before beginning to avoid any kinks or creases.
2. Beginning in the center and working your way out, spray adhesive onto cork board and smooth fabric on to board until entire cork surface is covered.
3. Carefully insert thumb tacks around edge of cork surface, creating the look of a nail head trim.
4. Once all thumb tack are inserted, hot glue excess fabric to back of board. I used staples to secure the corners extra tight.
5. Your bulletin board is ready to hang!

Note: I purchased a package of extra-fine sewing pins to use in lieu of regular thumbtacks to avoid poking large holes in the fabric. They even have royal blue glass heads! How pretty!

Thumb tack detailing around edge of board.

I'm so pumped about this fabric...it's perfect for my study!
Two projects down, lots more to come. Happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Love the fabric here! You should have someone make you a pillow out of that same cloth :D

    ReplyDelete