Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream


That up there? Yeah, it looks kind of gross. But, trust me, it's soooo good! That right there is Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream and it tastes exactly like the Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream at Baskins and Robbins...or is it Baskin and Robbins? Anyway, you know the stuff I'm talking about. It's the stuff of dreams. It was my second batch of homemade ice cream ever and now it may be the only kind I ever make.

I've been wanting an ice cream maker for a while now. Every time I went to buy one, though, I rationalized that there were much more practical things to spend my money on...like rent or electricity or nail polish. However, fate recently brought an ice cream maker into my hands. It's funny how life works that way.

This ice cream is for my favorite friend, Renee! Today is her birthday so I'm bringing the ice cream, in theory at least. Sorry I couldn't be there friend! I thought this ice cream would be especially appropriate for two reasons:
1. Renee and I have been friends since kindergarten and during that time we've both had our fair share of heart aches (maybe myself more than Renee). But anytime my heart was broken, Renee would be over with a pint of ice cream to listen to my tragic tale and agree that [fill in name here] was a fool and not worth my time. Thanks Nae!
2. Renee is currently preggo! And although she hasn't had many weird cravings yet, this seems like a good pregnancy fix. Maybe even with pickles? Maybe not.

Anyway, happy birthday to Renee! Now I'll shut up so you can go start making this ice cream!

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

Directions:
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, stir together 2 cups milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Heat until the milk starts to steam, but before it starts to boil.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and the cornstarch until no lumps remain.
3. Add the cornstarch mixture to the heated milk and chocolate mixture and bring to a low boil. Boil until thickened. The mixture will look the consistency of chocolate pudding. Remove from flame.
4. In a small sauce pan, heat 1/2 cup heavy cream. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute, then stir the cream and chocolate mixture until incorporated.
5. Stir the cream and chocolate mixture into the cooling chocolate ice cream base. Place in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap or a lid, and put in the fridge until cool.
6. Once cool, follow the manufacturer's instructions on ice cream maker to churn ice cream. Once the mixture has chilled and thickened in the ice cream maker, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Don't over mix. You want a nice ribbon of peanut butter running through the ice cream.
7. Transfer the ice cream into a freezer safe container and fold in the remaining 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Cover and freeze until solid.

Source: Joy the Baker


2 comments:

  1. This is my first ever blog shout out! Booo yah! It's too bad you can't ship that. You and I both know I'm not going to take the time to make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on over and I'll make you a batch! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete