Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tribal Patterns

Source: Fashion Salade
I've posted this picture before. I found it a few weeks ago during my incessant search for all things chambray. And, while I posted it before for that reason, I felt this particular outfit was worth posting again for another reason...the skirt. Maybe it's the warm spring temperatures making me feel tribal. Or maybe my grandfather's obsession with the Southwest has traveled down the family tree to my particular branch. Whatever the reason, I'm loving the tribal pattern on that skirt! Paired with distressed leather accessories and a worn chambray shirt? Heck, grandpa would have been totally jealous of that outfit! Except the whole "old man in a mini-skirt" image. Not good. Sorry about that.

Source: Cherrywhore
I'm seeing this trend in skirts a lot this spring. While grandpa may not have loved this skirt quite as much as the last, I'm completely obsessed with it. What could make a tribal pattern skirt better? Oh, probably sequins! I love it paired with a simple top here to tone down the wild on bottom. May need this.
Source: Polyvore
I love that this version is a bit more toned down. It's subdued while still looking vaguely tribal. Perfect for a night out.

Source: A Shore Thing
Now...this is a skirt for the brave! I have to admit, I saw a similar skirt at Target last weekend in a size that normally makes me laugh. However, for kicks, I decided to squeeze my booty into it. Let me just say...no. Us apple bottom girls were not made for Spandex mini skirts. Let the proclamation be made for once and for all. No matter how cute that girl up there looks in her neon mini and crop top, just know that look isn't going to be a winner for the rest of us. A girl can dream though...
Source: Vestique
I've also been seeing these bright tribal pattern turn up on maxi dresses for the summer months. I am in love with the dress above. Those bright colors are so fun! Too bad this little number is all sold out...the search continues.
Source: Shopbop
Here's another more toned-down maxi dress option. The colors of this one are great and I love the sweetheart neckline. I could live in that thing.
Source: Pinterest
And finally, for the less brave...those not willing to commit to neon tribal print from head to toe. How about a cute clutch? This one is adorable! I am also gonna need that girls outfit...and her awesome tan while we're at it.
Source: Pinterest
Last but not least, my very favorite accessory (as many of you know)...a big ol' scarf. Red and turquoise together is my kryptonite so I'm doubly in love with this scarf. Plus, check out the Southwestern-inspried bracelets! Yay!

So, there's my fashion thoughts for the week. Now that I've got all these tribal patterns out of my head, maybe I'll be able to focus on other things like grading papers, researching rhetorical phenomena, and revising a conference paper. Or, maybe I'll just keep thinking about tribal patterns. :)

Happy Hump Day!

2 comments:

  1. That black necklace looks like something someone crafty could make. Looks like a trip to an antique store is in order :) Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing! I need to make that necklace happen!

    ReplyDelete