Thursday, March 8, 2012

Flying Essentials

As you read this, I am likely hurtling through the air back to Kansasland! Yay! To clarify, that "yay" is for visiting all my family and friends who I haven't seen since January, NOT for flying. Blech to flying.

I used to love flying...back when flying was a rare indulgence and typically took me somewhere tropical. These days, flying is a necessary evil. It takes me from my home in Rhode Island to my home in Kansas and back. And the flights are usually spent studiously trying to catch up on homework or grade papers.

Add to that, the inherent stress of air travel (security checks, racing to catch connecting flights, layovers, chatty seat mates, you get the picture). All things considered, I have come to dread flying. However, certain things do make those long days of flying considerably easier. Here is my guide to hassle-free flying.

1. Wear Appropriate Footwear. Have you seen those women awkwardly scooting through the airport in 4" heels? Those women make me cringe. Hey, I love my heels as much as the next gal but just...no. Another rookie mistakes: tall boots. Been there, done that. Never again. Tall boots seem like a great idea because then you don't have to pack them. Hey, if you don't mind the glares shooting into your back at security as you try to wedge your foot out of that boot, go for it. Generally, I advocate for your classic flat or loafer. Something cute and comfortable. Love the leopard smoking loafers below. Want!

Source: The Glitter Guide
2. Layer It Up. Question: What's the worst thing in the world? Answer: Being cold on a plane! I'm inherently cold-blooded (thanks Mom!) so I always go for layers. I always wear some variation of the outfit below. The magic equation: long-sleeved tee or light sweater + scarf + jacket or coat = airplane coziness. I've even used my scarf as a blanket in a pinch. Also note the practical flats and large purse (perfect for magazines and all the necessities).

Source: Polyvore
3. Stay Hydrated. I am a water junkie. I drink water constantly so being stuck on a plane and limited to one teeny-tiny cup is pure torture for me. So I bring my water bottle everywhere. I have had a Bobble for a couple years now and I absolutely love it. If you haven't heard of Bobble's, they are reusable water bottles that come with a built-in filter that you switch out every couple of months. They're BPA-free and they're so dang cute. Just remember to empty your bottle before you go through security!

Source: Bobble
4. Protect Your Electronics. I never fly without my MacBook and/or iPad. I'm a working woman, after all! However, taking everything out at security and plopping it down on the conveyor belt always makes me nervous. My solution: BUILT cases. I have the ones below and they are awesome. They're checkpoint-friendly, protective, and...look how pretty!

BUILT Netbook Envelope
BUILT 13" Laptop Sleeve
5. Pack Light. Last but not least, I like to carry on if at all possible. We all know the tips and tricks: roll your clothing, pack pieces you can mix and match, try to color coordinate pieces to cut down on shoes and jewelry, etc. Checking bags gets expensive fast so I've learned to be a minimalist packer. I got this Vera Bradley bag for Christmas and it's great for flying. The soft sides allow me to cram it into tight overhead compartments. (Note: Mine is a different pattern, but I couldn't find a picture of it online. I am loving this pattern, though!)

Vera Bradley Symphony in Hue Large Duffel


Okay, there you have it! My guide to flying. Hopefully, I'll be touching down in Kansasland soon! Can't wait to see my Kansas pals!

1 comment: