Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chili and Cornbread

Comfort Food
As I've mentioned before, I often branch out with my cooking. I love trying new ingredients and testing new recipes. However, sometimes a girl just wants something familiar. Comfort food, that is. For some people it's macaroni and cheese or tomato soup and grilled cheese...I totally get that. For other people it's meatloaf. Why? Just, why?

For me, the most satisfying comfort food is a bowl of chili and some homemade cornbread. I could eat this meal every single day and be happy as a clam. A fat clam, mind you. By the way, why do we assume clams are so stinking happy? The clam seems like an odd prototype for happiness. ANYWAY, chili and cornbread make me happy. 'Nuff said.

This is my go-to cornbread recipe. It's definitely a sweet cornbread, which pairs well with the spice in the chili. I find that many box mixes end up crumbly and dry. Not this cornbread! It's moist and delicious. Once you've had this cornbread, you'll never go back to the Jiffy box.

The chili is a newer recipe. I've grown accustomed to my mom's chili (which is awesome), but I wanted to branch out a bit. This recipe includes a mix of ground beef and sausage and it got good reviews all around. I'm still on the hunt for my ultimate chili recipe, but this one is definitely the best I've made so far.

Chili and cornbread is the international food of grey, gloomy days. And looking out the window right now, it looks like this might be a grey, gloomy day. So I guess what I'm saying is...make this!

Rather Good Chili

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
1/2 lb. ground sausage
2 medium onions, chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup chili powder
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 to 2 cups water, if needed (I didn't need to add any)

Directions:
In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine beef, sausage, onions and garlic. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain most of the fat. (Leave about a tablespoon so the meat doesn’t start sticking to the bottom of your pot.)

In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, flour, oregano, sugar and salt. Add to meat mixture, and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Add tomatoes and beans, cover, and cook for an additional 45 to 60 minutes, until the beans are soft. Stir occasionally, and add water, if you need it. Serve with your choice of crackers, Fritos, cheese, sour cream, green onions – or use it to top a hot dog. It all works!


Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.

Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serves 9
Source: AllRecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment