Tuesday, July 17, 2012

spicy stewed beef with creamy cheddar grits


So normally today is my day to gossip about The Bachelorette. And I'm guessing I would have plenty to discuss seeing as the reunion episode was last night. However, because I am SUCH a good friend, I am waiting to watch it with my friend Shan on Thursday night. So please, no spoilers anyone! We'll catch up first thing Friday morning, mmmk?

In other news, let's talk beef and grits. Fun fact: I never made grits until I moved to New England. Seems a bit backwards, right? But now that I've made them, I can't stop making them! They are the perfect side for any and all meat dishes.

Plus, leftover grits are basically the bomb diggity topped with an egg, over easy. I'm salivating just thinking about it. It's one of my favorite single girl dinners. You know, the things I can eat now that would never qualify as dinner for an actual family. Like when I eat cheese and crackers and wine for every meal. Or dip. Or pie. I do what I want, y'all.

Anywho, this time I made cheesy grits for an actual family dinner and topped them with this spicy stewed beef. I halved the recipe and it still made plenty for four of us. Careful, though, the "spicy" in the title of this recipe is not just there for looks. This is a spicy dish! If you don't like spice, you might consider cutting down on the chipotle in adobo. Just a thought. Other than that, this recipe is super easy, straight-forward, and stick-to-your-ribs home cooking. Not a single girl dinner. Real family dinner food. Enjoy!

Spicy Stewed Beef with Creamy Cheddar Grits

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp butter
3 pounds stew meat or diced chuck roast
1 can (11 ounces) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 cups low-sodium beef broth, more if needed
5 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 small onion, diced
1 whole red bell pepper
2 cups stone ground grits
3 cups low sodium chicken (or beef) broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
To make the meat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot over high heat. Throw in stew meat and brown for 1 minute, then add chipotle peppers, beef broth, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is fall-apart tender and the liquid is thick. (Watch the meat occasionally and add more beef broth as needed.)

In the last hour of cooking time, make the grits: Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of both oil and butter. Add diced onion and bell pepper and cook for five minutes or so. Pour in grits, then add chicken (or beef) broth and water. Stir, then bring to a boil . Reduce the heat to low, then cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, add half-and-half. Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until grits are tender. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese.

Serve pile of grits with stewed meat (liquid and all) over the top. Sprinkle on sliced green onion for color.

Yield: 12 servings
Source: barely adapted from The Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment