Monday, July 2, 2012

italian ragu



Hey there. How was your weekend? Mine consisted of wedding/bridesmaid dress shopping, a BBQ, and Magic Mike. Definitely a successful weekend if you ask me. To those of you debating about seeing Magic Mike, let me be the first to say that it is worth the $10. Channing Tatum in a combat vest writhing around on a stage? Yup, I'd pay money to see that. If only it were real life. (sigh) I'm gonna need a moment; I'm feeling a little fuhklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Anyway! A few things I think we need to be super pumped about this week:

1. Hometown dates on The Bachelorette! Predictions: Chris will crash and burn, Arie will reveal himself for the true d-bag he is, Emily will realize that Jef is the man of her dreams, and Sean will realize he is the man of MY dreams. Fingers crossed!

2. A show you need to be watching: The Newsroom. Sooo good. Just watch it please.

3. The 4th of July! Duh. I'll be making my traditional apple pie so expect that recipe here soon. I suggest you all make it, too. This recipe has single-handedly won me money, caused men to pronounce their love for me, and gotten me on TV. Have I talked it up enough now? Prepare yourselves...

4. Also, fireworks. That is all.

Okay, let's switch tracks and talk pasta. Question: is there anything better than a big ol' bowl of pasta? Answer: yeah, probably. But pasta is pretty high up there...especially when it's paired with a homemade ragu. I'm all for the jar o' Prego in a pinch. But if you have the time to make homemade sauce...well, just do it.

I made this for my favorite friends, Renee and Nathan, who are new parents. They have a two-week-old at home and, well, who needs a home-cooked meal more than new parents? No one, I tell you. To all those new parents out there...God bless you.


Italian Ragu

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion
1 celery rib, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ lb. ground sirloin
½ lb. bulk hot Italian sausage
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
¼ cup dry red wine
¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 can crushed tomatoes (14 oz.)
1 tsp. each dried basil and dried oregano

Directions:
Mince onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a food processor; set aside.

Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add sirloin and sausage to pan and sauté until brown. Add minced onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to pan; sauté 2–3 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Stir in red wine and cook 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano; reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Serve over pasta or polenta.

Yield: 4 servings
Source: Cuisine at Home

No comments:

Post a Comment