Wednesday, July 18, 2012

j.crew bubble necklace

source: j.crew

Today, I want to talk jewelry. Not jewelry in general, but one piece in particular. I'm sure you've seen it. It's everywhere these days. Specifically, it's heading this post. It's the J.Crew bubble necklace. Have you seen it? Are you on the bubble necklace bandwagon yet? I want to be so badly. There's only one thing standing in my way...that pesky $150 price tag. Wowza, not sure I can justify $150 for a piece of costume jewelry. Particularly on a grad student salary.

However, let's take a moment to appreciate the glory that is the bubble necklace. According to the J.Crew website, this necklace is an icon. An ICON, people! Not sure I buy into that. But it sure is purty, ain't it?

Here's the specs:
  • 26" with a 2" extender
  • gold plated chain
  • available in turquoise, black, navy, pink, and white
  • a mere $150
I am absolutely in love with this necklace primarily because it makes such a statement. Add this to any outfit and you will automatically look put together. Well, except a sweat suit. Don't wear this necklace with a sweat suit. Thanks.

I've scoured Pinterest for a few of my favorite "bubble necklace outfits." Check 'em out.

source: pinterest
This is how I envision myself wearing this necklace most often. Paired with a nice button-down and dress pants or a pencil skirt for work. It makes even a boring work outfit look fashionable.

source: fashion worship
I've had this outfit pinned for years, yes years, now. I love the turquoise/kelly green combo. Plus, love that this bold, statement necklace can look so perfect paired with such a low-key weekend outfit.

source: futilish
Finally, thanks to Futilish for putting together this awesome bubble necklace montage. As you can see, this necklace can go from dressy to casual and back again. I just can't decide which look is my favorite! Love the black one paired with the leopard skirt and military jacket. So classic. But, then again, there's just something so perfect about all white paired with a chambray shirt. (sigh) However, the hot pink/turquoise look is so fun, too. That's it, I refuse to pick a favorite.

The worst thing about getting a bubble necklace would be choosing which color to get. They're all so perfect. However, I do have a little secret...hime diy. They make awesome replications of the original bubble necklace, but with two major differences. First, they have a huge selection of colors and sizes. Like, seriously huge. I've been debating for days which necklace to add to my shopping cart. It's becoming a problem. Second, they are super cheap! These replications range anywhere from $19 to $29, which means that you could buy five, yes FIVE, replication bubble necklaces for the cost of one real one. Think about it, man!

Yeah, the replications are probably no where near the quality of the j.crew original, but they're a good option for the money. One of these day, though, you mark my words. The bubble will be mine!

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment: