Tuesday, July 3, 2012

jalapeño pepper jack scones


For starters, I think it's vital that we do a little Bachelorette recap. First impressions? Pure awkwardness. Yeesh, that Emily still hasn't developed much of a personality, has she? Yikes. Hometown dates are usually a bit awkward but throw Emily into the mix and the result is lots of forced smiles and uncomfortable laughs. I felt like I needed a drink just watching it.

Okay, moving on to the guys, I'll keep this brief.

Chris: Should probably be put on suicide watch. Or homicide watch? Either way, the man is a loose cannon. And not in a good way.

Jef: Little Mr. Skinny Jeans can shoot a gun too? Well color me shocked. I may have to rethink my strict deal-breaker stance on skinny jeans in the future. Goodness.

Arie: I still can't get past his gross kissing behavior. I feel like I need a shower just watching him suck face. Oy gevalt. His family didn't help his case either. His mother is a shoe-in if they ever create a Real Housewives of Dutch-land reality show and, generally speaking, talking in a foreign language in front of guests is probs not the best manners. Just saying.

Sean: I might get a hernia trying to find a flaw with this guy. Gorgeous, sweet, AND a jokester? Tell me it isn't true. He must have webbed feet or an outie belly button or something. Anything. Ugh.

My fingers are crossed that Arie will be the next to go. After that, I really don't care if it's Jef or Sean...because I'd happily take either of those leftovers. Am I right?

So, let's move on to food related things. As you may know, if I were to be named queen of something, I would undoubtedly be the reigning scone queen. They are my go-to breakfast and I bake them in mass quantities. I love scones every day of the week...and twice on Sunday.

This particular variety of scone is a bit out of the box. What we have here is not your standard blueberry or pumpkin scone. No sir. This here is a savory scone, jam packed with cornmeal, jalapeños, and pepper jack cheese. Sometimes a gal just needs something savory and cheesy and delicious in the AM. Plus, Momma K had a bounty of jalapeños from her garden. Thus, these scones were meant to happen.

I've made these scones time and time again and they turn out perfect every time. Don't be intimidated by the peppers. As long as you remove most of the seeds, you'll be fine...or leave them in if you like a little heat. ;) Enjoy!

Jalapeño Pepper Jack Scones

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
2 medium jalapenos, some seeds removed, diced small
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 pound pepper jack cheese, cut into small cubes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream (plus more for brushing the tops of the scones)
sea salt (for sprinkling)
Directions:
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.

Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a small saute pan and cook diced jalapenos until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Let the diced peppers cool and them mix with the diced cheese. Toss mixture in 1 tablespoon of flour and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Work in the cold butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Some butter pieces will be the size of peas and the flour will be nice and crumbly.

Whisk together eggs and heavy cream. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients, fold together with a fork until almost fully incorporated. Add the jalapeno and cheese mixture to the shaggy dough and work together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 30 seconds. Form into a disk about 8 inches around and 2 inches thick. Cut disk into six wedges and refrigerate for 10 minutes before baking.

When ready to bake, place chilled scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and delicious. These are best served the day they’re made.

Yield: 6 scones
Source: Joy the Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment