Monday, July 30, 2012

morning glory muffins


Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was super busy with lots of girl time, some bridesmaid dress shopping, a BBQ, and a little flea marketing. Also, the Olympics!!! Let's talk about 'em. Anyone else confused/weirded out by that Opening Ceremony? I mean everything made sense until Lord Voldemort showed up. And then things just got progressively weirder between Mary Poppins, the kids on the glow-in-the-dark beds, and the giant baby. I mean, right? Who's with me here?

The only saving grace was Mr. Bean. Yeah, I said it. That sentence has probably never been uttered in the history of time, but you just can't beat Bean.

Anyway, I've been totally plugged in all weekend. Gymnastics, swimming, water polo. I'm a happy girl!

So here's my clunky transition to something food related. Olympians need a healthy breakfast...here's a healthy breakfast! Yikes, that was awkward. Nevertheless, these muffins are delicious and super healthy. They're full of carrots, apples, pecans, raisins, pineapple, and coconut. Basically, everything but the kitchen sink. If you've got a crisper drawer full of produce, I'd definitely suggest giving this recipe a try. It's like a carrot cake married a spice cake, went to the tropics, and had a baby. That's the best way I can explain it.

Please just make them...and then eat them and feel super healthy while you watch the Olympics. :)


The Original Morning Glory Muffins

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
1 large apple, peeled and grated
1 cup (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Place a rack in the lower third of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a muffin pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add the coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots, and nuts. Stir to combine.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and blend well.

Spoon the batter into muffin pan, filling each to the brim. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.

Yield: ~20 muffins

2 comments:

  1. Katy--Hi!

    I could not agree with you more about the weirdo opening Olympic ceremony!!!! It was just well, WEIRD!!! Plus, I thought it was scary for children! As I sat by my 6 year-old niece, I could see her frightened expressions and almost feel her body tensing! YUCK! Oh well, let me move on.....
    I have made these muffins long, long ago!! Thanks for reminding me how delicious they are and providing me the recipe, again!
    I love your blog!!
    Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim, glad you like the blog! Enjoy the muffins!

    ReplyDelete