Tuesday, May 1, 2012

honey cream scones

Scone goodness.
Short post today. I had a fabulous weekend with my friend, Maudie. We spend Saturday in Boston seeing the sights. Sunday we made it down to Naragansett Beach, over to Newport, and even squeezed in a mansion tour before dinner. I was definitely sorry to see her go but it was a great weekend being a tourist in a place where I am normally kept busy with the daily grind.

However, this week marks the beginning of finals and I am already hopelessly behind. One poster presentation down. Two 15-page papers, one final exam, and 90 papers left to grade. Oy gevalt! It'll get done but in the meantime my posts may be a bit short. I'll return as verbose as ever after that last final gets handed in. :)

In the meantime, here are some scones to tide you over. I made these with herbs from my little herb garden (which is still alive by the way!). The recipe is one I photocopied out of an old waiting room magazine last summer. Maudie approved. I did too. Thank goodness for waiting room magazines, am I right?

Honey Cream Scones

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon or lime peel
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
2 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup honey

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, lemon, salt, and rosemary. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Make well in center of flour mixture, set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, heavy cream, and honey. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. (Dough will be very sticky.)

Turn dough out onto baking stone or baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer scones to a serving plate. Serve warm.

Yields: 8 scones
Adapted from Midwest Living June 2011

1 comment:

  1. Going to a herb class tonight, so may have to look into rosemary and try this recipe. Is it possibly from a magazine from Dr. BBQ's office? Hope you get a lot done today. Talk soon. Love You!! Momma K

    ReplyDelete