Monday, May 21, 2012

coffee coffee cake muffins


You know those moving sidewalks they have in airports? I love those things. I mean, it's a MOVING SIDEWALK! What's not to love?!? I feel like there are two types of people in this world. Those who stand around on the moving sidewalk and those who really take advantage of them. I am of the latter type. When I'm on a moving sidewalk, I don't just stand there like a sloth. No sir. I power walk at super speed. I zoom by people at record breaking speed. I am a speed demon!

However, when I get to the end of a moving sidewalk? Yikes. Not so pretty. I take my first step off and I am immediately thrown off balance. It's like I'm learning to walk for the first time...every time. You'd think I'd get the hang of the dang things sooner or later, but, alas, it's my lot in life to be the idiot that falls off the moving sidewalk. Every. Single. Time.


These past two weeks of my life have been like one gigantic moving sidewalk. I have been zooming along at break neck speed. I finished my first year as a PhD student, I graded roughly 3,472 papers (give of take a few thousand), I hosted four house guests at various times, and, I basically just dominated life. Super Kate.

However, all of those things finally came to an end this past week and I came to the end of my metaphorical moving sidewalk. No more Super Kate. Just regular ol' Kate. And the sudden transition from super speed to complete standstill threw me off balance...just like those dang moving sidewalks do every time. My first official day of summer left me a bit melancholy...not sure what to do with all my newfound free time. After a weekend of relaxation, reading, and general laziness, I am finally regaining my balance and returning to the ol' blogging world in full force. Hey old friends, I've missed it here!

So my first order of business this past weekend was some serious baking. These muffins were the first batch I've made in a while and I've been enjoying them with big cups o' coffee as I laze about reading my dirty smut novel (50 Shades of Grey...anyone else reading/loving/obsessing over it?) And can I just tell you? It feels good to be off the ever-moving sidewalk for a change. :)

Coffee Coffee Cake Muffins

Ingredients:
10 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons istant espresso powder mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water

For the Topping:
3 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions:
Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the butter. Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Keep a close eye. Remove from heat.

If using vanilla bean, split the vanilla bean down the center, scrape the seeds out, and in a small bowl, rub the vanilla beans into the granulated sugar. I used my fingers and it worked like a charm. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add the brown butter and stir to combine.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl Add milk and butter mixture all at once, and stir gently to combine.

Divide half of the batter among muffin cups. Stir the espresso and water mixture into the remaining batter. Divide the espresso batter between the twelve muffin cups.

To make the topping combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the cups.

Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Keep an eye on them… they dry out quickly. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 12 muffins
Source: Joy the Baker

1 comment:

  1. Have to try these when I am back from the south. May have to up the cinnamon, though, to offset the espresso for ole papa bear. He does like his cinnamon!! Have a good week. Hope that phone holds out for you... Betty

    ReplyDelete