Tuesday, May 29, 2012

skirts to the max

Source: Atlantic-Pacific
It's official. It's summertime. Memorial Day has come and gone. Kids are annoying their parents instead of their teachers for the next three months. And the summer heat wave has hit Rhode Island. And by heat, I mean that the high finally broke 80 degrees. Yeesh!

Side note: When did my conception of heat change so drastically? Last summer in Kansas, I would have piled on a turtleneck and parka if the mercury fell below 90. Now I'm cursing the sun if the temp rises above 75. I suppose it may be due, in part, to the fact that my apartment does NOT have air conditioning. Yikes.

Anyway, now that the temperature is rising, I am suddenly averse to the idea of clothing. When it's hot and sticky outside, I just wanna walk around nekkid! Who's with me?!? However, not wanting to blind people or scare small children, my Plan B is typically a maxi dress. They're flowy, breezy, and they don't cling to my sweaty bod like real clothes do. Face it, who wants to shimmy into jeans when it's 500 degrees outside?

However, recently I have spied with my little eye maxi SKIRTS. Whaaa?!? Oh yes, and dare I say, I might love them more? Please just don't tell my maxi dresses I'm going to cheat on them with skirts. I've collected a couple here that I've been crushing on. I love, love, love the big print on the one above (especially paired with a chambray shirt, but you already knew I was going to gush about that, didn't you?).

Source: Fashion Worship
I love the bright, solid color of this skirt. That bright coral shade is perfect for summer...especially paired with that great striped tote. Perfect for a weekend brunch or maybe some shopping.

Source: A Cup of Jo
This look is definitely more subdued than the rest but I kind of love the dark slate color of this one. The dark color would easily allow this maxi skirt to work for a date night out. Plus, I love the idea of belting a maxi skirt at the waist to add some definition and shape.

Source: Polyvore
Another fun day outfit. The navy blue and sea foam green paired with all the gold and natural accessories is so nautical and classy. Love.

Source: Rose a la Mode
Last but not least, of course a white maxi skirt is a must for the summer! The color lightens it up and goes with anything and everything in your closet. Love it paired with that slouchy grey tank. Perfection.

So I'm off to go hunt for a maxi skirt or two to add to my summer rotation. I can imagine these skirts going from beach cover-up to shopping with the girls to hot date night on the town. In fact, I better stock up on these suckers...it's gonna be a looong summer!

1 comment:

  1. I saw some interesting maxi skirts at Target last week when Kristy was here and we were getting things for Dallas. Was not aware maxis were so in this year. Let me know what fun ones you find. Betty

    ReplyDelete