Tuesday, August 7, 2012

nutella-filled banana muffins


So I'm officially back on the East Coast, y'all. It's weird. After being back home in Kansas for the past six weeks it's gonna take me a while to get back in the East Coast groove. East Coast time vs Central Standard time. New England surliness vs Midwestern hospitality. Rhode Island beaches vs Kansas heat.

It was a long Monday of traveling. Two flights, one layover, lots of unpacking, and one car mini-crisis. All is well in the baby state, but this girl is ready for some downtime after the constant craziness of my Kansas vacay. Maybe I'll kick off my last month of summer with a little baking?


I made these bad boys for the family a couple weeks ago. However, they were almost the "muffins that weren't." You'd think that making a simple batch of muffins wouldn't be a big deal. Think again, my friend. First obstacle: bananas. It's rare that bananas stick around long enough to go brown at our house so it took weeks of careful waiting and watching to finally come across two ripe bananas. As soon as I saw a couple looking a wee bit spotty, I pounced.

Second obstacle: Nutella. I had bought a jar of Nutella in preparation for these very muffins. But before I could find the perfect bananas, my Nutella vanished without a trace. Trust me when I say you do not want to cross paths with me when my Nutella has done been stolen. It ain't pretty. Nevertheless, replacement Nutella was purchased and these muffins came into being. And I could not be happier.

Seriously, guys. Go hide your Nutella and your ripe bananas right now. These muffins are ridiculous in all the best ways.


Nutella-Filled Banana Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 medium bananas, mashed
1/3 cup milk
2/3 cup Nutella

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350. Line 12 regular size muffin tins with liners and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Beat in the egg, mashed banana, and milk. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl as needed.

With a silicone spatula, gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Divide the batter into the 12 muffins tins. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Place on a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from the tin to cool completely.

Meanwhile, spoon the Nutella into a pastry bag fitted with a large tip. Once the muffins are cooled, poke the tip into the center of each muffin. Fill until you see the muffin expand a bit and, while squeezing, pull the tip up and out of the muffin.

Yield: 12 muffins
Source: Bake at 350

No comments:

Post a Comment