Friday, August 17, 2012

keep calm and stop inventing "keep calm" sayings


Happy Friday people! Here's a secret about me. And by secret, I mean that total strangers don't know this about me. Friends, family, and casual acquaintances are all painfully aware of this fact. I am a worrier. Yes, that's right. Believe it or not, I'm of the hand wringing, mind racing, panic stricken variety. It's not a frequent thing, but sometimes I just need a good meltdown. It's something I'm working on. Nobody's perfect, right? Right.

I bring this up today because this week occasioned one major meltdown. Long story short, a simple typing error led me to believe that I no longer had a job teaching this fall. What?!? Yup. Let the freak out begin. Eighteen straight hours of frantic phone calls, emails, and mind-racing terror. Don't worry, there's a happy ending to this story. Typing error gets corrected and the Earth continues spinning. I am still gainfully employed.

The moral of this story, though, should be something to the effect of "this too shall pass." Or, if it weren't so played out on the Internets, some variation of "keep calm and carry on." (Sidenote: For those of you who didn't know, that's the original version of that saying. Not "keep calm and eat a cake pop" or "keep calm and watch Twilight" or something ridiculous like that.)

Now that I've confessed my cringeworthy moment of the week, I thought I'd use the rest of this Friday post to recap some of the little things that made me smile this past week. Enjoy!


1. Newport is just disgustingly gorgeous. We spent an entire evening drinking wine and playing Catchphrase last weekend and this was the view from our deck. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place. The yachts, the sailboats, the ocean, the lights, the history. I fall a little more in love with this town every time.

2. Shark Week is in full throttle! I may or may not be watching a ridiculous amount of shark-related programming. One thought though...do the shark attack reenactments have to show such realistic attack wounds? I mean, I'm not one to get my panties in a twist over such things, but those bloody stumps just get me. Sheesh! Not that it's going to keep me from watching 24/7, mind you.



3. I've been told that these Birthday Cake Oreos have been around for a while but I rarely venture down the cookie aisle at the grocery store. However, these bad boys were staring me right in the face from a display before I even got my cart. Needless to say, they were the first thing in said cart. What? I'm a sucker for a Limited Edition.

4. I just realized that I need new return address labels since I've moved. Yay! Stationary, cards, address labels, and the like just so happen to be one of the many things I geek out over. Some options I'm considering: these brown kraft labels, these scribble circle labels, these crabby labels, or maybe these starfish labels. Thoughts?


5. I went on a date this past Monday. This guy gets major points for coming up with one of the coolest first date ideas ever...glass blowing lessons at Thames Glass in Newport. Check out the ornaments we made. His is on the left, mine is on the right. And they even engraved our name and the year on them. It's gonna be hard to top that one!

And, on that note, have a great weekend y'all! Remember, keep calm and...watch MSNBC? No, that's not right. Keep calm and...wear body glitter? Umm, keep calm and...make scones? Yeah, that sounds right. Let's go with that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment