Wednesday, August 8, 2012

macaroni and cheese casserole


Yesterday was my first full day back in the Baby State. The most notable change from the Midwest? It barely hit 80 degrees and by nightfall it had dropped to the low 70's. True fact. After six solid weeks of 100+ weather and absolute constant sweating, Rhode Island feels like heaven to me. It's nice to put on an outfit and not have pit stains and back sweat within 60 seconds flat. In fact, I even got to bust out a fleece pullover last night. Yeah, be jealous.

Also, I apologize for just discussing back sweat with you. I'm embarrassed.

Another perk of this weather? I don't feel like a total freak for craving cold weather comfort food. One of my childhood favorites? Cheesy, gooey macaroni and cheese with a crunchy cracker topping. It's hard to beat a good baked mac and cheese with a Ritz cracker topping. That's how Momma K always did it and, I have to say, the woman was on to something. As a child I hated that crunchy top part. What a fool I was. Now I hoard the top layer. I've learned a thang or two in my old age.

For those of you in the Midwest, tuck this recipe away for later days. Maybe by October it'll be cool enough for mac and cheese. Sorry 'bout 'cha. I'll be enjoying cold weather food like this starting...now!

Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

Ingredients:
1 lb. elbow pasta
½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
Salt & pepper, to taste
5 cups milk (whole or 2%)
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Topping:
15 Ritz crackers, crushed
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour, then add the onion powder, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and the mixture begins to boil. Add the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat the pasta.

Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Mix together the crushed Ritz crackers and the melted butter until all of the crumbs are moistened, and then sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture.

Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.

Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: Brown Eyed Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment