Wednesday, June 27, 2012

peach crisp with maple cream sauce


My best good friend had a baby. So there's that. It's still kinda processing in my brain I think. I mean, I've known the girl since she was 5. So now she's a mom and that's a little cray cray to my brain.

Anyway, so my new life goal is to make this baby like me. This may sound like no big deal to you folks out there with wicked awesome child-rearing abilities. I would say that child-handling skills are not one of my strong suits. Shopping? Yes. Baking scones? Definitely. Drinking wine? Abso-freaking-lutely. But interacting with small humans? My skills are questionable at best, so this is big for me.

So far, so good, though. I held that little baby for hours and it never once cried. I mean, yeah, it was asleep 90% of that time, but don't rain on my parade. Progress is progress.

Cody hearts crisp
So, anyway, I made dinner and took it over to the new parents. I figured that if I distracted them long enough with a home-cooked meal they wouldn't mind me bogarting their child for hours. And...it worked! This peach crisp was a total hit with the new parents, my family, me, and even Cody friend up there. He licked that dish clean!

Tomorrow I'll bring you the delicious pasta recipe I made them for dinner. Happy hump day!

Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
5-6 whole fresh peaches (best when not overly ripe)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 whole lemon
7 Tbsp real maple syrup, divided
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp light corn syrup

Directions:
In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt using a fork or pastry cutter. Cut butter into small pieces and gradually add to flour mixture until evenly mixed.

Peel and chop peaches into a bowl. Add the zest from half a lemon. Squeeze juice from lemon half and stir in with peaches and zest. Add 2 tablespoons real maple syrup to peaches, stir well.

Pour peach mixture into a small pan (8” or 9” square) and cover evenly with crumb topping. Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until crisp and brown on top.

Maple Cream Sauce:
Pour whipping cream into a saucepan. Add 5 tablespoons real maple syrup, 3 tablespoons corn syrup and stir over moderate heat until thickened and reduced by about one-third, approximately 15 minutes. Refrigerate mixture until sauce is cold and thick. Drizzle sauce over peach crisp. Serve warm.

Yield: 8 servings
Source: The Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment