Tuesday, June 5, 2012

blueberry lemon crumbles for two


It's day two of Mission: Eat it All. Up today is half a pint of blueberries and a couple of lemons scavenged from my crisper drawer. My fridge is becoming a very sad sight. All that remains are a couple odds and ends:

  • three Narragansett Lights (Not bought by myself. You all know I'm faithful only to wine...and bourbon.)
  • some random cheeses (Bought by myself...because I love cheese, OK?)
  • sauces galore (Does anybody ever use a whole bottle of anything? I don't!)
  • this spread that I made with the leftover Brie from that pizza I made the other day (Oh Em Gee, I'm pretty sure I could eat this for every meal.)

Basically what I'm telling you is that I now have the fridge of a 21-year-old boy....plus some classy Sun-Dried Tomato, Basil, & Brie Spread. So like a 21-year-old boy who crashed a cocktail party and stole their spread. My fridge is a contradiction. And that's fine.


Anywho, should we talk about crumble now? Yes, let's talk about crumble in an effort to distract you from the sad, sad state of my fridge. This crumble is mini-sized. Perfect for two. And it's totally customizable. Don't have blueberries? You could toats use raspberries or blackberries (my fave!) or a mixture of whatever you have or whatever is on sale at the grocery store.

Don't have cornmeal for the crumble? You could definitely sub in oatmeal. I am personally rather partial to cornmeal, though. It just makes everything better, savory or sweet. Just a theory. On one of my recent dates, we ordered a cornmeal-crusted soft-shell crab for an appetizer and I waxed poetic on my cornmeal theory. My date just stared at my awkwardly and then preceded to take the bigger half of the soft-shell crab. Is chivalry dead? I totally would NOT share my second crumble with that guy. Share it with someone who gives you the bigger half of the soft-shell crab. Enjoy!

Blueberry Lemon Crumbles for Two

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. cornmeal
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cubed
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, cornmeal, and brown sugar. Add the cold, cubed butter and, using your fingers, mix the butter into the flour until the whole mixture resembles coarse sand and holds together when squeezed. Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and blueberries.

Divide blueberries equally between two ramekins. Crumble on the cornmeal topping. Place ramekins on a baking sheet in case the crumbles overflow and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until topping is browned and the crumbles are bubbly and fragrant. Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving (the fruit will be very hot). The crumbles may also be enjoyed at room temperature or chilled in the refrigerator.

Serves 2
Source: adapted from The Pastry Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment