Monday, June 4, 2012

caramelized onion pizza with gorgonzola and brie


I'm on a mission this week. Mission: Eat it All. I absolutely do not want to have to move all the food in my kitchen to my new place at the end of the week, so I am getting creative and finding ways to use everything up. A quick inventory of my kitchen found that I had lots of bananas, blueberries, and an ungodly amount of Vidalia onions. So guess what kind of recipes you'll find this week? Yep, that's right, recipes featuring bananas, blueberries, and an ungodly amount of Vidalia onions. First up? The onions.

What's a gal to do with a boatload of onions? Raiding my kitchen, I also found a pizza crust in the fridge and some fresh chives in my herb garden. Add some cheese and we've got a pizza! Even though this dinner was the product of desperation, it was seriously the best thing I've made in a long time. I probably could've polished off the whole thing if I'd let myself. This pizza is dangerously addictive.


One word of warning though...this pizza is not, I repeat NOT, date food. Let me point out the obvious. This pizza is covered in onions and stinky cheese. I'm fairly certain my breath could have killed a man last night. Yeesh. However, maybe if you and your date both have the breath of Satan, it's okay? Like a whole two negatives equal a positive kind of thang? Just a theory. Either way, this pizza is worth it!

Caramelized Onion Pizza with Gorgonzola and Brie

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups of sliced onions, sliced root-to-top into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 2-3 med onions)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
2 oz chilled Brie cheese, rind removed and diced
2 oz Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, diced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

Directions:
Heat oil in a large deep pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until wilted and starting to brown. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook gently, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until richly caramelized. Add a little water if the onions look like they are starting to dry out. Cool.

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll pizza dough onto a greased baking sheet. Pre-cook pizza crust for 8 minutes according to package directions.

Spread onions over pizza crust, all the way to the edges. Dot with cheese. Sprinkle with chives.

Finish baking in oven for an additional 6-10 minutes or until cheese has melted and crust is crispy. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges or squares and enjoy!

Serves 4
Source: adapted from Simply Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment