Thursday, September 13, 2012

peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies



I wasn't kidding when I told you I was on a hot streak of baking lately. These cookies are my final contribution after a loooong week of lesson planning, speech analyzing, theory reading shenanigans. Yes, I am aware that this is my first full week back. Please don't remind me. I'm trying to convince myself that I'm still just adjusting to the school year schedule. I mean, right?

I've noted before my dear roommate's tendency to forget about bananas until they are spotty beyond recognition. We currently have a whopping FIVE bananas frozen in our freezer because my baking habits simply cannot keep up with the constant stream of ripe bananas coming my way. Not that I'm complaining. It's an excellent problem to have.

These cookies are a product of that very banana surplus. Bananas + chocolate + peanut butter. Is there a better combination in this universe? I tend to think not. These cookies were utterly addictive and so soft thanks to all the banana-y goodness. Yes, I had not one, but TWO as a night time snack. And I'm not even sorry. Enjoy!


Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix the flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another large bowl, whisk together cooled peanut butter and butter with both sugars until combined. Whisk in egg yolk and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in the mashed banana and mix until combined – mixture will not be smooth. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, mixing with a large spoon until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate and peanut butter chips.

Scoop the dough into golfball size portions and place on a nonstick baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden and the middles are puffy – do not overbake! Let cool completely.

Yield: ~2 dozen
Source: barely adapted from How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment