Monday, November 12, 2012

pumpkin risotto


So it's no secret that I am a pumpkin fiend. I'll own up to that fact. However, it's a little more complicated than all that. Namely because I've always been pretty freaked out by savory pumpkin situations. It just doesn't seem right, you know? I can get behind pumpkin pie and pumpkin cream cheese muffins and pumpkin spice lattes all day long. No problem. Because pumpkin should be sweet. Dessert? Fine. Breakfast? Absolutely. A warm beverage? Without a doubt. But dinner? I think not. I run screaming when I see someone putting pumpkin in soup or pasta or chili. Gives me the willies.

However, the other night I was out at a nice Italian restaurant and my date suggested ordering an appetizer. More specifically, he was eyeing some bacon-wrapped scallops served over pumpkin risotto. Now, I'm never one to balk at the idea of bacon-wrapped scallops so I went for it. And, can I tell you something? That pumpkin risotto put the bacon-wrapped scallops to SHAME! And we all know it takes a lot to overshadow bacon-wrapped scallops. I came up for air from that pumpkin risotto and my whole world had changed. It was just perfection.


So naturally I attempted to recreate that dish at home. This pumpkin risotto isn't an exact copy of the now-legendary risotto at SoHo but it's pretty dang close. It's creamy and just the right amount of pumpkin-y to balance the salty/sweet/savory combo. I decided to forgo the bacon-wrapped scallops in favor of some crispy chicken but you could definitely serve this alongside any protein...or even as a main dish if you so desired. Either way, I'm thinking that I am definitely one step closer to overcoming my savory pumpkin phobia. And that's pretty epic. :)

Pumpkin Risotto

Ingredients:
4 to 5 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin puree
6 Tbsp coarsely grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat the stock to a simmer, and continue simmering it while preparing the recipe.

Heat the nonstick pot until it is very hot. Reduce heat to medium high, and add oil. Saute onion and garlic until onion begins to soften.

Stir in rice to coat well; add 1/2 cup of chicken stock and nutmeg. Reduce heat so that mixture simmers and cook until stock has evaporated. Stir often, cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Repeat with another cup of stock, and continue stirring, adding stock until the rice is almost tender but still has some bite to it.

Stir in the pumpkin, cheese, sugar, salt and pepper, and stir until mixture is hot.

Yield: 2 servings as main dish, 4 servings as side dish
Source: adapted from New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment