Thursday, November 8, 2012

apple cider caramels


If an apple a day really does keep the doctor away then I might as well get rid of my health insurance because I've been a straight apple addict lately. I have a multiple apples a day habit and I don't see myself quitting any time soon. I mean, I've got my habit under control. However, if I start talking about planting an apple tree or buying stock in Mott's, someone please organize an intervention immediately.

In the past couple months I've posted recipes for Southern Comfort Apple Pie, Apple Slab, Caramel Apple Crumble Bars, and, most recently, French Apple Tart. Clearly, I have apples on the brain. However, I've yet to do anything with that ol' fall staple, apple cider...until now. The genius over at Smitten Kitchen posted this recipe one day. Then, I saw a jug of cinnamon apple cider at the store the very next day. It was the perfect storm and these caramels happened.


Smitten Kitchen touts these Apple Cider Caramels as the best in her new cookbook. So I didn't change a thing here. If the caramels ain't broke, don't try to fix them, right? I think that's a saying. Anyway, these caramels definitely live up to their reputation. The flavor is like caramel and apples got married and had a love child and then sprinkled that love child with sea salt. Yummmm.

One note, when cutting the caramels, make sure to oil your knife well and clean it often. I can't emphasize that enough. Just trust.

Apple Cider Caramels

Ingredients:
4 cups apple cider
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp flaky sea salt, or less of a finer one
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Boil the apple cider in a 3- to- 4-quart saucepan over high heat until it is reduced to a dark, thick syrup, between 1/3 and 1/2 cup in volume. This takes between 35 to 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Meanwhile, get your other ingredients in order. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch straight-sided square metal baking pan with 2 long sheets of crisscrossed parchment. Set it aside. Stir the cinnamon and flaky salt together in a small dish.

Once you are finished reducing the apple cider, remove it from the heat and stir in the butter, sugars, and heavy cream. Return the pot to medium-high heat with a candy thermometer attached to the side, and let it boil until the thermometer reads 225 degrees, only about 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it.

Immediately remove caramel from heat, add the cinnamon-salt mixture, and give the caramel several stirs to distribute it evenly. Pour caramel into the prepared pan. Let it sit until cool and firm—about 2 hours, though it goes faster in the fridge. Once caramel is firm, use your parchment paper sling to transfer the block to a cutting board. Use a well-oiled knife, oiling it after each cut, to cut the caramel into 1-by-1-inch squares. Wrap each one in a 4-inch square of waxed paper, twisting the sides to close. Caramels will be somewhat on the soft side at room temperature, and chewy/firm from the fridge.

Caramels will keep, in an airtight container at room temperature, for two weeks.

Yield: 64 caramels

No comments:

Post a Comment