Tuesday, November 13, 2012

crusty chicken thighs


So yesterday I posted about the pumpkin risotto that changed my life. Or at least my worldview on savory pumpkin concoctions, which, let's face it, is pretty much tantamount to changing my whole life. Is that sad? So be it. Pumpkin is an important part of my well-being.

Anywayzzz, I wasn't in the mood to hassle with bacon-wrapped scallops and I knew they wouldn't compare to the original appetizer anyway. Plus, I had some chicken thighs in the freezer looking like they wanted to be a part of this pumpkin risotto situation. So chicken it is!

Normally I wouldn't post about plain ol' chicken. I mean we all know how to make chicken six ways to Sunday. However, THIS recipe? This one warrants posting. It involves no crazy ingredients, no butter or fat at all in fact, no complicated methods or equipment. This is chicken stripped down to the basics but in the best possible way. This recipe, originally from Jacque Pepin, is a little bit of genius, requiring nothing more than some skin-on chicken thighs, a cold pan, and a quick crank of the heat. It's almost too good to be true. But when I pulled the chicken out after about 20 minutes it was perfection. Cooked through, tender, and the skin was crispy as all get out. The kind of chicken skin that'll make your mouth water. Ugh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.


You certainly don't have to make this with the risotto. But the two made a perfect pairing between the saltiness of the crispy chicken skin and the sweetness of the risotto. However, this is officially my new all-purpose go-to chicken recipe. Enjoy!

Crusty Chicken Thighs

Ingredients:
4 large chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds total), skin on
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:
Set the chicken thighs skin-side down on a cutting board. Cut a 1/2-inch thick slash on either side of the thigh bone. Season the thighs on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Place the chicken skin-side down in a cold non-stick skillet with a tight-fitting lid. (Cast iron would work beautifully).

Turn the heat to high. When the chicken starts to sizzle, turn heat to medium and move the thighs around to make sure they aren’t sticking to the skillet. Cover the skillet, and cook for about 20 minutes, until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. (Check occasionally to make sure the skin isn’t browning too much. If it’s cooking too fast, turn the heat to low.)

Yield: 4 servings
Source: Ezra Pound Cake, originally from Jacques Pepin

No comments:

Post a Comment