Sunday, January 27, 2013

blackberry sour cream coffee cake


Important announcement: this spring semester marks my final semester of graduate coursework. Yup, that's right. After 21(!) straight years of school (K-doctorate), I've reached the beginning of the end. And, I kinda don't know how to handle it. I'm having a bit of an existential life crisis, I think. What am I if I'm not a student? Where do I go from here??? What does it all mean?!?!?

Okay, not really. I'm actually pretty pumped that the end of homework is in sight. Three and a half months...let the countdown begin! But, then again, the end of coursework also marks the beginning of comprehensive exams and (gasp!) dissertation work. Soooo, maybe I should appreciate these last few months of homework a bit more? Sigh...


Whether it's homework stress or dissertation stress, at least I always have my go to stress reliever...baking. I've been wanting a cast iron skillet for a while now and my darling brother got me one for Christmas this year. I'd bookmarked this coffee cake months ago, in my pre-cast iron skillet life. And, I'll tell you, it was worth the wait. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you could also bake this in an 8x8" pan...or you could take the Katy tactic and wait months until someone gifts you a skillet. But you probably shouldn't wait months to make this. Just sayin....

Blackberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Coffee Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sour cream
12 ounces blackberries

Crumble Topping: 
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
3 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan (or cast iron pan) and set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ginger. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Mix in the sour cream. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. The batter will be thick. Spread into the prepared pan and top with blackberries, pressing them into the batter slightly.

Make crumble topping: In a mixing bowl, blend together the sugars, butter, flour, cinnamon, and salt until well mixed. (I just used my hands, but you could also use a pastry blender or even a mixer.) Crumble the topping on top of the cake; the dough will be a bit sticky so try to get small pieces evenly distributed.

Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for several minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

Note: The original recipe called for one egg. However, I realized at the last minute that I didn't have any eggs so I substituted with 1/4 cup applesauce. You could do either, depending on what you have on hand.

Yield: 1 9-inch cake
Source: slightly adapted The Pastry Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment