Thursday, January 31, 2013

black-eyed pea dip


I made you dip. Well, technically, I made me dip. And I made my family dip. However, in light of the upcoming SuperBowl, I'm sharing this dip with you. Because SuperBowl is perhaps the last hurrah of the "I'm just gonna have dip for dinner" holiday season and it must be celebrated in all its melty, cheesy glory.

I actually made this dip on New Year's Day because of that ol' black-eyed peas = good luck in the new year wive's tale. I don't want to tell you exactly how much of this dip I ate, but let's just say it was enough to bring me luck for the next five years or so. So I got that going for me...which is nice.

I'm not quite sure whether that old wive's tale has a statute of limitations on when the black eyed peas must be devoured. Like a good luck expiration date. Let's hope these post-New Year's Day black-eyed peas will still have their magical good luck powers. And, if not, maybe you can just send your bad luck to the other team this Sunday. You're welcome!

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

Ingredients:
1 can (14-ounce) black-eyed peas
¼ whole onion, chopped fine
¼ cups sour cream
8 slices jarred jalapeƱos
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp salsa
Hot sauce, to taste
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain black-eyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole. Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine.

Spread into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Serve with tortilla chips!

Yield: 12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment