Tuesday, January 7, 2014

apricot, ginger and white chocolate scones


Happy New Year!!! As you can see, my New Year's resolution has absolutely nothing to do with dieting. No, my 2014 is already chock full of butter and baking chips. So I guess what I'm saying is that 2014 is off to a good start. :)

Instead, my resolutions are more of the be productive/dominate life variety. For example, I promised myself I would blog more(!) in 2014. 2013 was a pretty weak year for this here blog. And I'm sorry. From here on out I'll do better! Thus, this post is step one to being the best blogger I can be.

Also on the list of New Year's resolutions? Minimize. First stop: my wardrobe. You should see the insane piles of clothes covering my bedroom floor at the moment. On a related note, anyone between the sizes of XS and M living in the Rhode Island area who would like to come peruse, please let me know!

Next stop: my bookshelves. Book worms stay tuned...


Of course the perfect comeback recipe must be a scone. Have I beat you over the head with enough scone recipes for one lifetime? I hope not.

These scones are a little out of the box for me. I'm not typically an apricot, ginger, or white chocolate fanatic, but I had leftover ingredients and somehow these flavors meld together perfectly here. These scones and a big mug of tea…there are worse ways to get through a polar vortex.  :)

Stay warm!

dried apricot, ginger and white chocolate scones

ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
3/4 cup milk or half and half
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
1-2 tbsp milk or cream, for finishing
coarse sugar, for finishing

directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat mat.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter to dry ingredients and toss to coat. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until no pieces larger than a pea remain.

Add in milk and vanilla and stir with a fork almost until the mixture comes together. Stir in apricots, white chocolate chips and ginger until evenly distributed.

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and divide it into two balls. Shape each ball into a disc about 3/4-inch thick and cut into quarters. Arrange piece on prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scone with a bit of milk or cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake for 16-20 minutes, until scones are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.

Yield: 8 scones
Source: Baking Bites

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! Dad is interested in this recipe...You have his interest. Plan on trying soon. Where would I find candied ginger? Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that' a feat getting dad interested in a scone that doesn't have peanut butter OR chocolate. :) I found candied ginger in the produce area near all the nuts and dried fruit. You might also find it in the baking area near the raisins and nuts.

    ReplyDelete