Thursday, January 9, 2014

blood orange sangria


I think I have a serious problem. I officially suck at relaxing. In theory, I love and adore my downtime and I've been dreaming of what it would feel like to have a free weekend since midterms last semester. No grading! No research! All of the time for Netflix marathons and fun reading and (gasp) cooking!!! In reality, however, come day two of winter break I'm starting new projects, deep cleaning everything, and beginning to feel my brain melt from boredom. When did I become this way? WHY?!?

And that's about where I'm at currently. I'm beginning to feel the winter doldrums. The rush of the holidays is past, spring and outdoor activities are a distant dream, and school won't be back in session for a couple more weeks. What's a gal to do? I mean, sure, I could be course planning and dissertationing and whatnot. And I am doing those things. But my busy bee self is restless. Anyone need cupcakes for a small city? Their closets/bookshelves/pantries organized ROY G. BIV-style? I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I made planners for the BF and myself just because…with personalized monograms no less! I can't decide which part of that sentence is the most humiliating. (Side note: If I'm being honest, they actually turned out pretty cute.) But, still, I'm ashamed.

Let's just hope school starts back up before I completely lose touch with reality.


It may seem like the wrong season for sangria, but I assure you it's never the wrong season for sangria! Citrus is just coming into season and that is reason enough to whip up a big ol' batch of this sangria. Feel free to play around with the fruits. I used what I had in the house. If you can't find blood oranges, regular naval oranges will do the job…they're just slightly less pretty. :)

Similarly, you can also mix up the liquor in this recipe. The original version called for brandy. You could probably also use triple sec or some kind of fruit schnapps if you like a more fruity/slightly less boozy flavor. Or you could go for bourbon if you're a girl after my own heart.

blood orange sangria

ingredients:
6 blood oranges
1/2 cup sugar, for glass rimming
1 (750ML) bottle of pinot grigio
1/2 cup club soda
1/4 cup peach schnapps
6 ounces of strawberries, sliced
1 cup of blackberries
1 apple, sliced

directions:
Zest one of the blood oranges and combine it with the sugar in a small bowl. Rub the sugar and zest together with your fingers until evenly mixed. Juice four of the blood oranges (including the zested orange), discarding any seeds. Chop the remaining two blood oranges into quarters.

In a large pitcher, combine the blood orange juice, wine, club soda, peach schnapps, strawberries, blackberries, apple, and blood oranges. Stir well to combine, crushing the fruit a bit to release the juices. Place the orange sugar on a plate, then run a lemon, lime or orange slice around the rim of each glass. Dunk each glass in the sugar, coating well. Fill each glass with a few ice cubes, then add some of the fruit from the sangria. Pour the sangria into each glass and serve.

Yield: serves 2-4
Source: adapted from How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment