Tuesday, October 29, 2013

crockpot cheesesteak chicken


Does anyone else feel like Halloween should have already come and gone? My Facebook feed has been full of Halloween costume pics for days now. My Halloween candy bowl has been stocked and tempting me since last Saturday. And Halloween is still not here. Halloween is officially the holiday that just won't quit. Let's get the show on the road already, Halloween. You're overstaying your welcome and I'm hankering for some serious holidays. Give me some Thanksgiving and Christmas already.

On second thought, maybe I'm just bitter. I'm too old for the slutty costume phase and too young to have kids to torture with adorable costumes. What's a girl to do?

I suppose I'll just put on my favorite costume (read: sweatpants and warm socks!) and pass out candy to the lil' trick-or-treaters from the comfort of my own warm and cozy home. Actually, on second thought, I think I may be winning Halloween after all. Now I just need to make these crockpot cheesesteak chicken sandwiches and I'll be golden.

crockpot cheesesteak chicken

ingredients:
2 green peppers, sliced
2 sweet onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
6 ounces of your favorite beer (1/2 of a bottle)
8 ounces freshly grated white cheddar cheese
buns, for serving

directions:
Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne.

In the bottom of your crockpot, layer peppers and onions. Add garlic evenly over top. Place chicken on top and then pour in beer. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low. About 15 minutes before serving, completely shred chicken using two forks and toss thoroughly to coat. Keep mixing and tossing to combine the chicken, peppers and onions. Most of the liquid should become absorbed. If you have extra liquid (I did), feel free to pour it off.

Stir in the grated cheese then turn your crockpot to the "warm" setting (or simply turn it off and keep it covered) and cover for 5 minutes. Spoon onto buns and serve.

Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment