Thursday, December 27, 2012

cinnamon sugar scones


So I know yesterday I promised that I was on a health food kick until New Year's. However, it didn't last long. You see, my willpower when it comes to such things is basically zero. Baked goods and appetizers are my weakness. Therefore, I stand before you today bearing scones. Cinnamon sugar scones, to be exact. Yes, I know they're not health food. But they seem appropriate for the cold winter mornings of winter break.

These past two days have been filled with last minute grading. Finals are in and I have until Friday to submit my grades. A teacher's work is never done. These scones are good brain food for my long days of grading. These, plus cup after cup of coffee are going to get me through. Coffee + scones = productivity.


One note: these scones call for cinnamon baking chips, which can be difficult to find. Whenever I stumble across some, I try to stock up. I definitely recommend that tactic. Enjoy!

Cinnamon Sugar Scones

For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
5 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
½ cup cinnamon chips
1 cup heavy cream

For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
1 Tbsp heavy cream
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter, using your fingers, two knives, or a pastry blender. Mix until mixture resembles coarse meal, with mostly pea-size lumps of butter. Stir in the cinnamon chips. Pour heavy cream over the ingredients and stir with a spatula until dough begins to form. Don’t over mix.

Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead dough by hand just until it forms a ball. Form scones by patting the dough into a ¾-inch thick circle. Cut the scones into triangles or use a biscuit cutter for round scones.

Place scones on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the scones with heavy cream. Sprinkle scones with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake scones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until light brown. Cool scones on a wire cooling rack and serve. Store leftover scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Yield: 6-8 scones

No comments:

Post a Comment