Thursday, June 20, 2013

dark chocolate cherry scones


I'm on a baking kick again. I've been making breakfast foods to feed an army. We have muffins and scones like whoa. I take most of the blame. But I also blame the Interwebs for having too many pictures of delicious-looking food. I mean, there are tons of websites devoted to pictures of ridiculously decadent and crave-worthy food. Not the recipes, mind you, just the pictures. People have written articles on this trend. There is even a dang Wikipedia page. That's how you know it's official.  What is this obsession? I just can't. Look. Away.

The nerd inside me wants to over-analyze this trend. Why are we so obsessed with digital pictures of food when we are surrounded by real, tangible, edible food? Would food blogging even be a thing if there were no pictures? Just recipes typed out on a screen? What does it all meeeeannn? (sigh) I've been out of school for too long apparently.

Also, I just realized that I am part of the problem soooo there's that.


Anyway....scones. These scones were the product of a bowl of cherries that were on their last leg in my fridge. And ohmygoodness, these were the best scones I've had in a while. They taste like those chocolate-covered cherries my dad used to get every Christmas. But wrapped in a buttery, flaky scone. I took these over to my BF and his roommates and they were gone like a freight train. Even my BF, who claims to not particularly like sweets, chocolate, or cherries (who is this person?) devoured a scone and a half in one sitting. So I guess that's a win.

Make these while cherries are cheap, lest you fall into the same tragic cherry-buying trap as another girl I know...

dark chocolate cherry scones

ingredients:
3 1/4 cups flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups cold butter, frozen
1 cup buttermilk plus more for brushing
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
6 ounces dark chocolate chips

for glaze:
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
water, to desired consistency

directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. Take butter from freezer and grate using a cheese grater. Add grated butter to dry ingredients and toss together until mixed. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla, just somewhat combining, then fold in chocolate and cherries. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, adding a bit more flour if sticky.

Divide in half and pat into two round circles. Brush each dough round with buttermilk. Cut each round into six wedges and place on greased baking sheet.

Bake for 12-14 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla, and water to desired consistency. Drizzle glaze on top of scones while warm.

Yield: 12-16 scones
Source: slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment